Wednesday, March 12, 2014

China Food

 

 
One thing: One of the first questions any Chinese person will ask you is if you like Chinese food or not. I learned the correct answer quickly.
 
 
 
 
There are a million drinks to try in China. Sometimes I am wary of trying them, but I try maybe one a week. There are others that try new ones every time they go to the grocery store. Anyways, above is a popular one. This is a yogurt smoothie drink. I tried it, but I didn't really like the after taste, it kind of coats the inside of your mouth and it really weirded me out that it wasn't refrigerated. It was okay to try, but I wouldn't drink it again.
 
 I found my beloved Diet Coke once. ONCE. In all of China I found one sketchy looking convenience store with 4 cans. The people of this fine country only drink Coco Cola, the gross kind. So now I drink herbal teas, orange soda, and hot chocolate.
 
 
The night I got food poisoning:
 I ate hot pot ( Like fondue. I thought it was alright, but not impressed)
 
 I also was so excited when I saw this  asia pizza dough thing, little did I know I would be upchucking 6 hrs later. I still am not sure what it was that made me sick, but either way I am not eating either ever again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baozi – (pronunciation: bow-tza)- This is really cheap, and really good. It usually costs 7 rmb (a little over 1.00 US) for a pan of it. Its meat inside of some dough. Another kind has soup inside of it so you have to be careful when you bite into it so the juices don't go all over. Normally I use chopsticks to eat, but I had a bad experience which involved dropping the baozi, splashing vinegar and soy sauce all over and staining my friends pants. Since then I avoid eye contact with everyone in the restaurant and eat with my hands.
 
 
 
 
 
 And this is a typical dish. Noodles and pork. Yummmm.

 
Squid! It was actually really good, which I was not expecting. As in, I would eat it again. Unlike scorpion. Absolutely no desire to eat scorpion, starfish, or sea cucumber again unless I was triple dog dared or something.

 
The starfish tasted burnt, dried out and kind of crunchy.
 
 
One of the tastiest treats ever. Strawberries coated in this sugar molasses stuff. I haven't found them since Beijing, there were theories made of it being a winter thing. Either way, its my favorite.

 
 
 This is at the weird food night market in Beijing.  Oh the smells of China.

 
One of my favorites, full of chives and green onions.

 
Beijing is known for its duck, so we just had to have some while we were there. It was good, but a little greasy and expensive.

 
Corn with this crunchy coating on the outside, really good on the day I had a sensitive stomach.

 
That's right. My family is probably laughing their face off as they read this. I found pizza in China. (my moistest favoritest food of all time). No Shame.

 
Just some good ol' street food. It ends up being China's version of an enchilada thing.
 
 
The other side of the mug says "I never leave home without them!" hahaha. There are terrible English translations over here. There is a café that we like to hang out at because it has reliable wifi. She makes really good hot chocolate, with whipped cream and green apple flavored marshmallows ( I don't even like marshmallows, but I love her hot chocolate).
 
 
But this is my favorite. The best fried rice I have ever had, with this orange juice smoothie. Yum Yum Yum.
 
Cheers to trying new foods!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment