Tuesday, March 4, 2014

One month.

I have now been here for a month! Crazy how time flies.


I feel like I am becoming more Chinese every day

I like noodles and rice, and I eat them atleast once a day.  (funny considering I didnt even like rice before coming here...)

I have friends on QQ, and the list keeps growing.

I now walk fearlessly across 6 lanes of traffic.

I can navigate myself on an electric bike.

I have survived food poisoning more than once. Food poisoning in China is way different then food poisoning in the States, and I will just leave it at that. 

I can eat with chopsticks.

I dont flinch anymore at the sight of packaged chicken feet at the store, or the pig hanging in the alleyway.

I dont even get grossed out by all the spitting on the street, I have even done it myself a time or too (GASP), it is just something you do here. Though I do look around and make sure that no one is nearby.

I actually kind of like drinking warm water... Never thought I would say that.

I have finally gotten over my issues of asking for help when you need something. If you dont ask, then you are just stuck with the problem, suffering in silence! (I now have a washer- and I only have it thanks to Spencer!)

I smile at the guards everytime I enter or leave my school campus, and they have started to smile and give thumbs up. Maybe I can teach them some English :)


As much as I love living in a foreign country, there are some things I definitely miss about home. MY BED! There is 1 inch of some hard material seperating my body from sleeping on wood. I miss the farm, with its clean air and peacefulness. Zhenjiang is considered a small city with several million people, so sometimes its overwhelming. My bubble is often popped as I ride the bus. I also miss some good ol' fashioned milk and cereal, and stuff smelling nice and clean. But most of all I miss family and friends!!! Big warm hugs from across the ocean.

But I am trying to make the most of this experience. I want to look back and remember that I was proud that I ate a scorpion and downed that revolting sea cucumber without blinking. I want to remember the exhilerating feeling as I went chair-iceskating at the Summer Palace and stood on top of the tower at The Great Wall, not sad because I felt lonely at my school with no one to talk to during the week. So I miss America, but I have the rest of my life to be with friends and family.


MOMENTS OF HAPPINESS:
-Sierra bringing me honey AND lemon AND my favorite fruit snacks when I feel awful with chest/sinus issues
-Hearing "Whats up dude" in the hallways- my students ARE listening to me
-Meeting up with one of my new Chinese friends Vivi
-MANGO ICE SAND: delicious slushie thing, the perfect end to the day and feeling great on my sore throat
-Finding cream puffs on the street near Sierra's apt
-Sharing a bed with 3 other girls. Not the best night of sleep I have ever received, but it was a night full of me giggling that I will always remember.
- Reading the Divergent series in 2 days. (if you have not read that series yet, do it. do it now)
-it hasnt arrived yet, but I AM GETTING A WASHER! No more handwashing for me!
-Walking around the Yangtze river, (with some green trees and the water hitting the dock, it ALMOST felt like I was walking at Couerd A lane lake. )
-Looking at the clock and realizing I skyped Jared for almost 3 hours. I am so grateful for all my friends who still talk to me even though I am really far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment