Saturday, January 26, 2013

Copper chocolate milk is no good- I bet Copper Dr. Pepper isn't nearly as bad.

So I have been wanting to write for awhile. I know that I have a lot of people who love me and would like to know what is going on. I have started multiple drafts but then I exit out and don't return to it for many reasons. So much has happened- its a little overwhelming because I don't know where to start, chemo brain makes it difficult to remember details, and there are many things about the last week that I do not wish to remember. 
So, just an overall review for people who didn't hear. I spent Christmas in Washington with the family and then flew down to Utah Jan 10. On Jan 14 I visited my medical oncologist for my last post op appointment. She was able to tell me what to expect for the next five years with testing and doctor appointments. Jan 15 was my day of fate... or so I thought. I was under the impression chemo was still up in the air at least a leetle bit.  Turns out it wasn't. He walked in there and just started busting out my chemo plan and I was like "whoah, back up and slow motion please." He told me I needed to start as soon as possible but first I needed to go to a "chemo class." Apparently I am not out of school after all. So I dragged my cousin Emily with me. We got stared out. Everywhere. All the other patients were definitely 55 and older. So two 20 year olds stuck out quite a bit. I'm going to be blunt for a second: the side effects of chemo suck. Hellish actually. I wont get into details because some of them are just downright gross but, one they did mention was a metallic taste in your mouth, and your taste buds will be altered. So after my chemo class I went to the store to get some food that would be easy to eat. While we are at the store Emily goes on about how copper Dr. Pepper would be better than copper chocolate. I always have a good time with her.  
Previously mentioned chemo plan: I started chemo Jan 17 (it takes about 5 1/2 hours), and I have 2 more rounds to go with three weeks in between. Which means I will be able to have my last round, recover, and head to school when it starts in April. 
I am flying to Spokane on Sunday and I will be driving my car back down to Utah and I will be stopping in Rexburg for the weekend (lemme know if you want to hang out ) and then kickin' it in Salt Lake while I finish my treatment. Salt Lake is cancer central. 
I found 
  • this hospital that gives away free wigs ( I'm expecting my hair to fall out in about 1-2 weeks)  
  • a class that gives away free makeup donated by major makeup companies
  • cancer wellness house that has free acupuncture (I am definitely going to try it), massage therapy, and all sorts of yoga classes
  • program that will help me go on a free kayaking trip this summer for people like meeeee
  • mentor program that found a girl who was 22 and diagnosed with ovarian cancer - I had to ask 4 or 5 different mentoring networks to find someone remotely near college.  I like to go big or go home.
Things that make Molly happy:]
  • fuzzy socks
  • anti-nausea pills
  • Chinese food 
  • Netflix (my best friend these days)
  •  my first pair of color jeans (sea foam green- thanks Taunie!)
I have a bunch of pictures and I will put them up as soon as I get my chord.

No comments:

Post a Comment