Monday, February 24, 2014

People in China

Today I decided to go exploring on my electric bike. I had a great time, with wind blowing past my cheeks, listening to Katy Perry as I drove past fruit stands and workers digging ditches. Then I met up with Sierra and had a delicious bowl of fried rice with veggies.




I was on my way home, taking a route that I knew for certain would get me to my destination. This may or may not involve me pushing my rather large heavy bike and squeezing my toosh that is the size of Texas (or so my family tells me) past a barricade. I was not being discreet, in fact I was making quite a scene, what with me pressing my horn on accident and frequently dropping the bike on my ankle, which led to me muttering some choice words under my breath that my momma best not catch me saying ever. I am in my own world, and then suddenly I hear someone talking behind me. I jump up in surprise and half expect to see a cop (you really dont see them do much here, but hey,  I was about to go through a street I shouldnt due to construction).



I look over my shoulder, and there is this Chinese lady trying to help me fit through the small space. She has to be in her 50's, and she looked at me with a very concerned look on her face. She was talking, and I told her I dont speak Chinese. She kept jabbering away as she pushed my bike. I said the one Chinese phrase that I know, the one I say daily-"xie xie". It feels insufficient for what she did
for me, so I look to see if she needs help getting her bike through. Its a cycling bike that she picks up easily. I say my thanks one  more time, and we ride our seperate ways.




My experience with her was maybe 2 min, but it is something I have been thinking about all day. She was an absolute stranger, and she just had a smile on her face the whole time she was helping me. She reminded me of the taxi driver who tried to console me when I was miserably lost, the man who let me get on the bus before him (a big deal in China), or even when my students see I need help to open up my USB drive before class.




Moving to a foreign country is definitely not for the faint hearted- I admire those in my group who are here with me now. They seemed to handle it all so well from the beginning, and I feel like I am just now starting to catch my breath. But I have had so many experiences comparable to the one today that I can't help but fall in love with China. There's a million reasons why, but it all revolves around the people.


This is a really long story for me to say that right now I really love my life.


MOMENTS OF AWESOMENESS:
-Random Chinese dude on the bus last night told me I was gorgeous and added me on QQ
-As I walked through Sierra's school, a student stopped me and told me IN ENGLISH that he really liked my hat (the boy hat that I possibly wear everyday because it is so warm). Absolutely made my day
-Going to church!
-Meeting the Ferney's, playing Ticket to Ride (even though I lost...), eating American food, and feeling loved by so many people at once
-Delicious street food! (the real kind of delicious, not like when Chinese people are trying to talk you into eating fish eye" "Its very delicious! Maybe you try it now?" (no I will not thank you very much)
-KTV with my "teacher friends"
-Making new Chinese friends (Sheldon and Raymond who know Neo!)
-Skyping Ty and hearing all about the happenings of Rexburg
-Brother Meik is helping me get a longboard! *insert happy dance here
-One of my student's names is Lucifer. This adorable, tiny Chinese girl chose the devil as her English name. The only one I have heard that is better is a friend who has a student called Tequila.




**Shout out to my Momma- Happy Birthday! I am sorry I cant call you but when I get back to the States we will go to Seattle for a weekend to celebrate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment